The clothing and textiles industry accounts for approximately $2 trillion in global revenue. Smart and functional materials are the current trend of consumer and institutional textiles and clothing. Dependence of petroleum based polymers and fibers, use of toxic chemicals, and extensive consumption of energy and water pose remarkable threats to environmental sustainability. Additionally, human safety and societal impact of novel technologies bring in concerns as well. While the environmental, social, and economic consequences associated with clothing and textiles are serious, industrial and academic researchers, as well as textile industry have responded to the concerns.
Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Sustainable functional fibers and textile
- Sustainable colorants and finishing agents
- Sustainable production processes of functional fibers and textiles
- Water and energy issues within the clothing and textiles industry
- Human safety of functional textiles
- Sustainability and consumer acceptance
- Life cycle assessment of textile production processes
- Biobased fibers and textiles
- Sustainable functional designs
Gang Sun, UC Davies, USA
31 October 2018
Before submitting your manuscript, please ensure you have carefully read the submission guidelines for Fashion and Textiles. The complete manuscript should be submitted through the Fashion and Textiles submission system. To ensure that you submit to the correct thematic series please select the appropriate thematic series in the drop-down menu upon submission. In addition, indicate within your cover letter that you wish your manuscript to be considered as part of the thematic series on Sustainable Functional Textiles and Clothing. All submissions will undergo rigorous peer review and accepted articles will be published within the journal as a collection.
Submissions will also benefit from the usual advantages of open access publication:
- Rapid publication: Online submission, electronic peer review and production make the process of publishing your article simple and efficient.
- High visibility and international readership in your field: Open access publication ensures high visibility and maximum exposure for your work - anyone with online access can read your article
- No space constraints: Publishing online means unlimited space for figures, extensive data and video footage
- Authors retain copyright, licensing the article under a Creative Commons license: articles can be freely redistributed and reused as long as the article is correctly attributed.
Sign up to article alerts to keep updated on articles published in Fashion and Textiles - including articles published in this thematic series!